Sunday, June 20, 2010

June 20th: The day before we leave

Tomorrow, my mother, brother, and I will be leaving for India. After not having visited India in three years, tomorrow will be the first time that the myriad relatives that we have in India will be seeing us (of course, that also means that most of our time will be spent at relatives' houses, attempting to remember the names that belong with the faces). I'm excited to be returning to India. When I visited the last time, I had seen some of the improvements that had been taking place in New Delhi. With the developments completed, Delhi will be comparable to other metropolitan cities in Asia.
In addition to visiting relatives, we will be attending a marriage. I don't actually know the people getting married aside from the fact that they are from my dad's side of the family. No matter. Indian weddings often have relatives from all sides of the family, some twice and thrice removed, in attendance. Different parts of India have different wedding traditions. The last wedding I went to was my dad's sister's, so the wedding should be similar, but with it being held in a smaller town (compared to being held in a city), the expectations will be different. See, with my brother and I being raised in America, many of the relatives will be eager to see if we behave like typical Indian children are supposed to. Most Indians who have never visited America believe that children there have no boundaries, and are free to do whatever they want to do. Their ideas about America come from shows like Jersey Shore, and so they assume that kids are just as wild as Snookie. It will be my brother and I's job to debunk those beliefs, in addition to upholding the reputation of our parents, as our behavior will reflect on how our parents have done their job (in raising us).
That's it for now. It's now time for me to pack, which is probably the most difficult part of going to India. Conservative values and society along with an idea of what a girl from a "good" family should wear will make packing a long process.

No comments: