Friday, July 30, 2010

The Great Kebab Factory

I'm going to dedicate this post to my dad, who introduced us to this restaurant and is a huge foodie.

We visited the Great Kebab Factory on our last night in Bhubaneswar. My father was quite excited about going to this restaurant for dinner, so we ended up eating a light lunch, in order to prepare ourselves for the dinner. At 7:30, we reached the restaurant. Most people in India don't eat dinner until 9:30-10 ish, so the restaurant was empty. We ordered the non-vegetarian kebab platter, which came with five different types of kebabs. First was a delicious mutton (which is basically lamb) kebab served with roti. Side note: I normally hate eating anything related to lamb, but this was delicious. It was extremely rich and a bit spicy. The roti was used to wrap up the lamb and eat it like a burrito. Next came a chicken kebab, called the malai kebab. The malai kabob looked something like this, and was pretty mild, a nice change from the mutton. Next came what I like to call, the fish-and-chips fish kebabs. The fish-and-chips fish is succulent on the inside and is crispy on the outside (as the fish is dipped in beer batter and then fried). This was exactly what the kebab tasted like. Next came a kebab that tasted like baby back ribs (which I don't like at all), so a few nibbles and I was done. And lastly came another chicken kebab, but I do not remember what that tasted like, other than the fact that it was a bit spicy. Then came time for seconds. Obviously I ate seconds, but only the stuff that I liked-namely the mutton (which was getting difficult to eat on account of the fact that it was really, really rich), the malai kebab, and the fish and chips fish kebab.

One would think that dinner would be over. Nope. In fact, the kebabs were only the appetizers. Afterwards, as part of the non-vegetarian platter, there was rice, daal (lentils), roti, and vegetables. My already full stomach couldn't turn down food (after all, kids in Africa were dying from starvation), so I had a helping of rice, daal, and roti.

Cue next course: the unlimited dessert course! Yes, I used unlimited and dessert in the same sentence. My now bursting stomach decided that it still had room for some dessert. I had gulab jamun. It was scrumptious, delicious, and a piece of heaven (or as my dad would say, "heaven on earth") My only regret was that I only had one dessert, and that too, only one serving of that dessert. The other desserts included kulfi (which is Indian ice cream) and gadjar ka halwa (a sweet dish made from carrots and lots of sugar). My parents sampled all three and proclaimed that they were all pieces of heaven. Oh well, there's always a next time. And I believe that we will be eating at the Great Kebab Factory in Delhi, as my cousin really wants to go. Can't wait!

Note to self: Make sure to fast for 3 days before you eat at the restaurant.

2 comments:

Curren Tipnis said...

I want to goo there soo bad haha

Niharika said...

Come visit! We'll go and eat lots :)