Thursday, July 29, 2010

Monsoon!

As I am writing this, the heavens have opened up, and it seems as if the the monsoon rains have finally come in all their glory. This year's monsoon came extremely late, leading to thousands of water shortages and power cuts around India. Delhi was especially hard hit, with temperatures soaring to 45 degrees Celsius and power cuts in many parts of the city.

Before I continue, let me just say that I love rain. Drizzles are fine, but pouring rain is better. So when one of the women in the office announced that it had started pouring outside, I jumped at the chance of getting drenched in the rain. However, my sensible side took over before I took one step out of the sheltered area outside the office. Instead, I only stuck my arms out in the rain, feeling an immense amount of pleasure as the warm rain drops hit my skin. As I was living in my own world, feeling extremely happy, a rude honk interrupted my thoughts.

And that set off a chain of honks: honk.....honk honk honk....honk ho-honk (repeat about 50 times). Now, the thing with Indian traffic is that if even the slightest thing goes wrong, a traffic jam occurs. So obviously, when it rains, there was a traffic jam. It wasn't completely the fault of the rain; the rain just aggravated the traffic jam. At the front of the line of cars was a truck that was emptying out boxes. Cars kept honking, apparently thinking that their honking was going to magically speed things up. Hello now. Your honking is not going to speed things up. In fact, it will probably irritate the rest of the car drivers and innocent bystanders enjoying the rain. You will move only when the car in front of you moves. The car in front of you will only move when the car in front of them moves. And so on and so forth. Instead of honking, you should probably cultivate some patience.

Quite irritated with the lack of patience, I came back inside, shivering as my wet skin hit the air-conditioned office. And not a moment too soon. It began to thunder a few minutes after I entered. Rain, I like. Thunder, not so much. As soon as I get home, I'm snuggling in bed with a historical fiction/mystery/action/romance book.

No comments: